Russell Township. First two classes of Russell FD members graduate at EMT-Paramedic level. References It is the only Russell Township statewide. Zoning History - Zoning was first implemented in the Township in 1949. Russell Township is one of the sixteen townships of Geauga County, Ohio, United States. Phone: (440) 338-8912 There is a history that reaches back to the first family to settle here, the Gideon Russell family in 1818. There is a history that reaches back to the first family to settle here, the Gideon Russell family in 1818. 1977. Box 522 Novelty, Ohio 44072. They built their home on Chillicothe Road just south of the town center.  Another name for the area is Novelty, from the name of the post office located, in the unincorporated community of Novelty, in the township.. Location of Russell Township in Geauga County, ‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties, "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Russell township, Geauga County, Ohio", Geauga County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates, U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Novelty, Ohio, U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Novelty Post Office, Ohio, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Russell_Township,_Geauga_County,_Ohio&oldid=950460592, Articles with dead external links from April 2020, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 12 April 2020, at 06:20. Russell will maintain its place as a “gem” of a place to live for many years to come. History. They built their home on Chillicothe Road just south of the town center. WRIS: Cleveland Web Design Russell Township. Ninety-eight percent of Russell Township is zoned for residential use. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. Gideon Russell, who fought in the Revolutionary War, came to Russell with his family in 1818. In April of that year the people elected John Lowry, Clark Robinson, and Gideon Russell as their first township trustees. The area, known as West Woods, was renamed after the family name in 1827, and was the last township to be formed in Geauga County.The population has grown from 805 in 1870 to its current size of 5,614. As of the 2010 census the population was 5,188, down from 5,529 at the 2000 census.. At one time the township was named Elmsley, it was officially named Russell in 1797. 1977. (South Russell village and a small part of the rest is covered by the Chagrin Falls district.) There are two districts for commercial/office use. The territory that is now known as … A variant name was Russell. Russell Center is an unincorporated community in Geauga County, in the U.S. state of Ohio. Russell is the home of ASM International, formerly known as the American Society for Metals, whose headquarters is marked by a gigantic geodesic dome, visited by Buckminster Fuller upon its completion. CLICK HERE FOR MAPQUEST ONLINE MAPS OF RUSSELL TOWNSHIP, OHIO. Russell Township is a community 20 miles east of the city of Cleveland. 1792: The four districts were divided into 19 counties. Russell was incorporated as a township in 1827. Nearly all of the non-incorporated parts of the township are served in education by the West Geauga district. They built their home on Chillicothe Road just south of the town center. Administrative Building 8501 Kinsman Road P.O. The residents of Russell enjoy excellent schools, libraries and services where young couples are starting families and where more mature couples are enjoying the peace and serenity of rolling wooded hills. Not only is there history here, there is an eye towards the future as well. Fire station renovated to current design. It is the only Russell Township statewide. The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Ebenezer Russell served as first postmaster. The first district is at the intersections of State Route 306 and State Route 87. Department members trained as EMT’s by the State of Ohio. Rescue squad service started. … Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. 1976. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. The Township will raise the flag on October 2nd, 2020 at 11:00 a.m. during the flag raising ceremony at the Town Hall until October 30, 2020. Council proclaims October 2020 as Breast Cancer Awareness month in the Township of Russell. In private education, the Butler Campus of Laurel School is on Fairmount Road (originally named "Fairmount Campus" for its location), which has a lodge, pavilion, tree house, residence, and adventure course. Paramedic equipment (LifePak 5) is purchased for rescue squads Another name for the area is Novelty, from the name of the post office located, in the unincorporated community of Novelty, in the township. Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships and villages: Two villages are located in Russell Township: part of Hunting Valley in the northwest, and South Russell in the south. The heart of Russell Township is at State Route 87 and State Route 306. 1974. He was one of the first residents of the West Woods. A post office called Russell was established in 1828, and remained in operation until 1881. Russell Township is a community with long term plans for land usage that reflect a general desire to preserve & protect the natural environment that exists. The area, known as West Woods, was renamed after the family name in 1827, and was the last township to be formed in Geauga County.The population has grown from 805 in 1870 to its current size of 5,614. There is a history that reaches back to the first family to settle here, the Gideon Russell family in 1818. The second is … In the early days it was referred to as the West Woods. It was Robinson that created the first framed building and started the first store. The first five inhabitants — Gideon Russell and his family, who came in 1818 — settled on what today is Chillicothe Road. The area, known as West Woods, was renamed after the family name in 1827, and was the last township to be formed in Geauga County.The population has grown from 805 in 1870 to its current size of over 5,000 residents. Ohio.  In 1827 the township was named Russell, although it had been previously known as the West Woods by neighboring communities. 1791: The Parliament of Upper Canada (Ontario) divided the territory into four districts. With a preserved environment and state of the art services that include Police and an ISO Rated “5” Fire Department, Road & Zoning Departments and a Township Park Commission, all of which are tax supported, residents are assured of a safe and well managed community. Major roads include State Route 306 and State Route 87.